Durban – South Africa: Diego Forlan silenced the crowd for the first time during South Africa 2010 with a wonder strike worthy of any stage, and was also on target from the spot as Uruguay took a step closer to the last 16 with a 3-0 win over the hosts. Alvaro Pereira sealed a comfortable victory for the South Americans with a stoppage-time tap-in.
South Africa 0-3 Uruguay
Diego Forlan [Uruguay] 24 min. (GOAL)
Diego Forlan [Uruguay] 80min. PEN (GOAL)
Alvaro Pereira [Uruguay] 90+5 min. (GOAL)
Steven Pienaar [South Africa] 6 min. – Yellow Card
Kagisho Dikgavoi [South Africa] 42 min. – Yellow Card
Itumeleng Khune [South Africa] 76 min. – Red Card
1. In the 23rd minute, Luis Suarez teased his way past Bongani Khumalo before stinging the palms of Itumelenge Khune.
2. Diego Forlan scored the 1st GOAL of the match for Uruguay at 24 min.
3. Uruguay was playing well, while the host South Africa was not playing too much great to knock the Urugay out.
4. The second half started as the first had finished, with Oscar Tabarez’s side threatening to add to their lead.
5. Cavani was first denied an opportunity to strike at goal thanks to some smart defending by Masilela, Diego Lugano might have been wheeling off in celebration had he made any kind of decent connection with Forlan’s inviting corner-kick, and, in the 67th minute, the lively Pareira was guilty of scuffing a gilt-edged chance wide.
6. Bafana Bafana were in search of leveling the score but the defenders of Uruguay were not letting them to do so.
7. The host nation’s hopes of making it to the last 16 for the first time in their FIFA World Cup history received a hammer blow in the 76th minute when Khune was adjudged to have brought down Suarez, prompting referee Massimo Busacca to point to the spot, before flashing a red card at the South African keeper.
8. Once again, Diego Forlan succeeded in scoring the 2nd GOAL of the match for Uruguay on Penalty Kick at 80 min.
9. Mphela and Siphiwe Tshabalala both had chances to reduce the deficit in the closing stages but, in the end, there was little the hosts could do to deny Uruguay a deserved and vital three points.
10. Alvaro Pereira scored the third GOAL at the South African post & for his country Uruguay in ‘injury time’ (90+5 min.).
Man Of The Match:
Diego Forlan, attacker of Uruguay was awarded the Man Of The Match award.